• CrossKarts101 is a premier information hub and community for all things crosskarts related. We bring together everyone interested in crosskarts or offroading, from enthusiasts, to fabricators, drivers or beginners. Our goal is to make getting into crosskarts accessible to everyone, with easy to access resources on everything from building your own crosskart, to connecting with teams and drivers. Feel free to browse our site to find what's more interesting for you!

What kind of tools do I need?

Depending on how much fabrication you will be doing and what type of materials you will be working with along with how much money you have to spend will determine what tools you will need. I would say the very basic to get started would be a good tubing notcher with some hole saws to match your materials, a good mig welder, angle finder, some magnets, a tape measure, some pencils and paper, safety glasses and gloves and that should get you going! Make sure that you choose the correct materials and think of safety first!

Is there anything special I need for tools to get started building a kart?
The main thing if you want to compete in races is abide by the rule book, not necessarily FIA but European championships rules specs are accepted anywhere. Ordinary plans you buy doesn’t account for harness degrees or crush ratings.
If you’re not going to compete in hillclimbs or rallycross don’t worry about it if you do they need to be safe.
If it’s cost you are trying to save on by building your own it’s not likely you can build one for cheaper than a manufacturer

Back