• CrossKarts101 is a premier information hub and community for all things crosskarts related. We bring together everyone interested in crosskarts or offroading, from enthusiasts, to fabricators, drivers or beginners. Our goal is to make getting into crosskarts accessible to everyone, with easy to access resources on everything from building your own crosskart, to connecting with teams and drivers. Feel free to browse our site to find what's more interesting for you!

This crosskart built for $6000.. drawbacks??

joedogg67

Members
I'm seeing numbers elsewhere in the range of $15k all the way up to $35-40k for a high end cart. Granted in this video there's not much else as its barebones, but still for $6 this seems way less than I anticipated.

What are some of the drawbacks or cons if you build a kart for this cheap? Other than I doubt you'll ever touch a race

The main drawback is safety. If you are building with a thin budget, then that alone automatically causes you to purchase the cheapest components without quality being considered as heavily as it should. This kart in this video is all about the cost of the components without any tooling costs. If you happen to have the tools and the skills, then you already understand, good things ain't cheap and cheap things ain't good. Not to sound rude, but If your life depended on it, would you really risk $1000 or even $2000 price difference between buying a cheap welder that might make the penetration needed every time you weld, or spend more money for the welder that will make the penetration needed. Although experience in welding is also a huge consideration. If you have no experience, I wouldn't start with fully welding a chassis that has a 100 HP in it, 5HP will be ok to learn from, but I also understand that a person has to start somewhere, so start with practice until you are fully willing to risk your life on your welds, or just learn to tack everything together and have a professional come and fully weld it. That person will also be a good friend to ask questions about learning how to weld. One thing to consider is what is your time worth? Maybe for some, it might be more efficient to buy pieces or kits already made and go through the experience of building it (Super Fun!), and then having fun in it, and some may just want to purchase one out right so they can play today. Building one from the ground up is a great challenge, but extremely time consuming if you are really itching to go play!

I'm seeing numbers elsewhere in the range of $15k all the way up to $35-40k for a high end cart. Granted in this video there's not much else as its barebones, but still for $6 this seems way less than I anticipated.

What are some of the drawbacks or cons if you build a kart for this cheap? Other than I doubt you'll ever touch a race

So that's my buddy's kart. He was given the motor for free. Also I'm building a kart my self rite now and with parts only not including tools I'll be in it about 6grand.
That is with a 2003 gsxr600 engine at that .
That's with 120 and 083 wall DOM tubing and all the correct safety parts also. It can be done for sure you just have to be able to do it all your self . Because if you're buying all shelf parts you will be way over that . Also it depends if you want reverse or not and what level shocks you want. You can drop 6 grand in just the shocks if you want very easily.

But if you want a good fun crosskart for the trails and some local events then 6 grand is very realistic price to build it for

Back